A hoagie is just a hoagie, except when filled with sausage, sautéed onions, peppers, and mushrooms. It’s simply delicious!
Whether it’s game day or just any day, you will love diving into these sandwiches. Just make sure you pass lots of napkins because these are incredibly juicy and messy, just the way we like ’em!
A breeze to whip up with just 8 ingredients…see how we’re going beyond sausage…
Pick your favorite Italian sausage, sweet or hot.
We’ll cut right to the plant-based version. We’ve chosen “Beyond Sausage” for our hoagies, the first plant-based sausage that looks, sizzles, and satisfies like pork.
To get started, heat a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Add sausages and cook for 5 – 7 minutes, turning occasionally so they brown on all sides. When sausages are browned, remove from the pan and set aside.
Add onions and peppers, stirring to coat with the oil from the sausages. Cover and cook for 3 – 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, cover and cook for 2 – 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
Add sausage, cover and cook until sausage is reheated. Enjoy now and fill hoagies with sausage, onions, peppers, and mushrooms.
However, if you want to make this a real Italian treat, load a sausage into each hoagie. Add the onion, pepper, and mushroom mixture and top with your favorite marinara, provolone or mozzarella, and a little more marinara over the top. Place in an oven heated to 400-degrees F and bake for 5 – 8 minutes, until cheese is melted.
This was the perfect lunch for today’s playoff games!
Sausage, onions, peppers, and mushrooms! Serve in a hoagie roll or over pasta, rice, polenta, or mashed potatoes.
Below we made a batch with green bell peppers and served it over cauliflower polenta. Delizioso!
Make Mine Veggie!
For the veggie option, use “Beyond Sausage”. Friends and family won’t know it’s not pork, unless you tell them!
Sausage Hoagies with Onions, Peppers, and Mushrooms
Yield 6 Hoagies
Free of: gluten and top 8 allergens.
A breeze to whip up, this delicious hoagie is filled with sausage, sautéed peppers, mushrooms, and onions.
6 Italian sausage links, sweet or hot
2 1/2 cups sliced onions
3/4 cup sliced green bell peppers
3/4 cup sliced red bell peppers
8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
6 allergy-friendly hoagie rolls or hot dog buns
1 1/2 cups marinara, such as Rao's
6 slices provolone cheese, such as Follow Your Heart or Violife (see recipe notes)
- Heat a large skillet or cast iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Add sausages and cook for 5 - 7 minutes, turning them occasionally so they brown on all sides. Remove sausages from pan and set aside.
- Add onions and peppers. Toss to coat with the oil from the sausages. Cover and cook for 3 - 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms. Cover and cook for 3 - 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return the sausages to the pan with the vegetables. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook until sausages are reheated.
- Fill each hoagie or bun with a sausage. Top each sausage with 2 - 3 tablespoons of marinara. Top with cheese and a little more marinara.
- Bake in an oven, preheated to 400-degrees F for 5 - 10 minutes, until cheese melts.
- Serve with plenty of napkins, and enjoy!
Use your favorite provolone or mozzarella cheese slices or mozzarella style shreds, such as Daiya.